Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Yes, I Stalk Blogs

I recently read an article in the New York Times online about Heather Armstrong, Queen Mommy Blogger. Wow. I didn't realize the blogging world was so affluent! I didn't realize it was so dramatic. I mistakenly assumed moms blogged the way I did - to keep in touch with friends and family and document the adventures of your little ones and your life.

That being said, the phenomenon of mommy blogs fascinates me. So much so that it is the topic of one of my stories for my thesis. I consider my blog stalking research. At the same time, I enjoy looking into the lives of others for reasons beyond my writing. I love reading about women finding out they are pregnant. I am overjoyed when I find out their babies are born and everyone is home, happy and healthy. I am devastated when I hear about an unexpected diagnosis of disease. I am sad when I read about women experiencing broken bones or broken spirits. My heart is lifted when birthdays are celebrated or babies take their first steps. I am curious about the time saving tips they have to share. I enjoy following other women follow their passions. I would like to be friends with some of them. Online, it's like a perpetual multimedia girls night. I'm happy and proud to be part of that party.

If you are stalking or lurking here, welcome!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I've been reading the Dooce blog for years - MUCH more dramatic than most people's lives. But she's a really good writer and there are a lot of really funny posts. It's so interesting to read what other people share about their lives and experiences.