Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Semester One = Done: A Series of Lists to Celebrate

Today was my last day of teaching for the semester! Last week, I had my last classes, too, so I am done on campus until January. I still have to grade portfolios in the next week, but I am really excited to see what my students have come up with. From the exhibits I've seen so far, some students have really gone all out. Should be fun to check out all of their hard work.

In looking back on this semester, here is what I have learned:

1. I love teaching college students.
2. I miss teaching high school students.
3. College freshmen and high school freshmen are very much alike.
4. Even if you put critical information on your syllabus, class calendar, announcement board, and share it in class, students will still ask about it.
5. No matter how many times you go over something in class and all students nod their understanding, at least one of them doesn't get it.
6. My students inspire me.
7. UGA students love their Dawgs, leggings, Chacos, Chic-Fil-A, and Northfaces.
8. Yes, I'm already looking forward to next semester, trying out a new syllabus, and meeting a new bunch of students.

So now that I have all this free-time to fill, here's another brief list of what I've been up to or in other words, channeling my inner domesticated diva:

1. Reading David Foster Wallace and his essay on cruising. Amazing.
2. Making two soups to freeze: cabbage and potato soup and roasted tomato soup (both recipes from Pinterest and my Veggie Fest board).
3. Making a pork roast for tomorrow.
4. Filling Riley's photo album with pictures from May through October.
5. Helping Riley make a winter book called Snowman, Snowman, What Do You See (another Pinterest Idea!)
6. Doctor's appointment.
7. Holiday shopping (online, of course).
8. Starting to pull out baby stuff (okay, so I've only dug out a couple of burp cloths so far...).

And finally, here's what I plan to get done besides grading in the next week:

1. Baby Shower at Shawn's School
2. Prepare and ship presents to friends (except Caroline...since she'll be up here in a week and a half!).
3. Finish crafty gifts for Alli, Claire, and Libby. Can't tell what this is yet, but I'm pretty excited about it.
4. Gifts for kids' teachers and my professors (I know what these will be, but I need to get them and drop them off).
5. Sign up for the Southern Miss. conference I will be presenting at in March.
6. Work on my latest creative writing project! This I am so excited about....will reveal later!
7. Read, read, read (more David Foster Wallace, Grub, New Grub Street, Remediation, and The Economics of Attention to name a few!).
8. Finish preparing for baby!

So basically, I've got a week for baby prep, holiday prep, and fiction! LOVE IT!

1 comment:

Da Costa said...

Woman! How do find the time!!!!!!! :)
Miss you so much! Can't wait to come see you in January!!!! And I'm so excited to hear more about all your classes and that conference! Congrats!!!!! Luv ya!