Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Robert Lane Greene on Language Sticklers

I'll admit it, I'm kind of obsessed with language. This is a really interesting article about the decline of language and the simultaneous rise of writing and literacy. As an English teacher, I struggle with teaching a generation of texters to speak and write well - and understand grammar and the mechanics of writing. It's not easy sometimes.

I am curious to see how technology will continue to influence and change our language. Even already, Google has morphed into a verb. iPod is like Band-aid, and represents all mini music playing devices. And don't even get me started on all of the abbreviations we have now as a result of online chatting and texting.

And while it can be frustrating, I do like that more people are reading and writing. I just hope they learn to write well because the connection between idea expression and thought is critical. Without language, how does an idea exist? How can you even think it? Ah, my mind is spinning...

No comments: