Friday, August 5, 2011

2+1...Here We Come!

In one sense, this post is long overdue. In another, I think the timing is just right. Actually, I was going to wait a bit longer, but I'm too excited. So here it goes...

We're having another baby!

Yes, on top of moving and starting a PhD program/new jobs - we are soon going to be outnumbered! I can't wait!

And while the timing is crazy, it's actually perfect for us. Right now, it looks like I will be having the baby right after I finish up my first semester. Cool, right? Best early Christmas present ever!

Let's start at the beginning...

1. Late April: Decided to take a pregnancy test. Only had one period after weaning Adrian from breastfeeding. So not expected! Riley and Adrian each took about a year of trying. This time, I had recently accepted UGA's acceptance offer and my weight was a bit on the low side. I didn't even think pregnancy was a possibility. I was wrong. I set out the positive test for Shawn to see when he got his breakfast.

Shawn: What does this mean?
Me: What do you think it means?

Shock. Dumbfounded shock. For both of us. But that soon evaporated - with the help of support from mentors, friends, and mom, and we were left with happiness and excitement.

2. May-early June: Threw up once. Then a few weeks of crazy fatigue and nausea. One night, I had to have a California roll. The next night, seafood salad. My tastes were weird and wild.

3. June: Found out I have two clotting disorders. Went to see a hemotologist. Worst doctor's office I've ever been to. Started taking four extra vitamins per day and Lovenox shots to the love handles. By the way, my sides look polka-dotted with bruises now! Oh, and my veins are gross this time around. Seriously, I have palpable green veins and splotches of purple all over the backs of my legs. Hot, that's what that is!

4. July: Since I was up in Athens for the month, I had to miss my appointment this month. Fortunately, my mom's best friend let me borrow her doppler so I could at least check the baby's heartbeat. Such a lovely, lovely sound! I'm pretty good at finding the little bugger now. First time, I probably scanned for over an hour.

5. August 3: Felt the baby move for the first time. Oh, I love this part of being pregnant. My favorite thing by far. Since then, I've felt little taps and pushes pretty regularly. I hit 19 weeks yesterday, and this is a good two weeks earlier than I've ever felt movement. Very exciting.

6. Other info: I am just starting to pop a bit. I think I have gained 6-7 pounds so far. We have names for a boy and a girl, and we still don't know if we are going to find out the gender or wait to be surprised. I am trying to nail down a new doctor up here. The process has been more complicated than I thought it would. Hopefully, I will get in for my anatomy scan in the next couple of weeks.

So there you have it! We are so thankful and thrilled for this blessing. For now, I am savoring this pregnancy: hearing the baby's heartbeat, feeling little kicks, knowing a baby is growing inside me. At the same time, I am savoring Riley and Adrian: watching them play and interact, seeing them grow and learn, hugging and holding them as much as I can. It all passes too quickly, doesn't it? So for now, I'm savoring.

And warming up my juggling skills.

3 comments:

greydolphin said...

OH!! I am sooo excited for you!!!! I'm up in the middle of the night, but I know when Josh and Rigby are up too they will be excited for you too!!! LOVE from Memphis!

Jamie said...

We are so excited for you! Can't wait to hear baby names. :)

Kira said...

wooooooohoooooo!!! Congrats Lindsey!!!!!!!!!!