Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Riley Update!

So an update on Riley is better suited to stories and pictures. Enjoy!

1. The other night, Riley worried about ants in the bed. Shawn was out, so she was sleeping over with me, but she did not want to get in the bed. So as I am brushing my teeth, she climbs up on our eight-inch headboard, and camps out. She was still there an hour later when Shawn came home despite a ton of coaching from me to "come down from there!" That's when she decides she is going to sleep on the headboard. And not even five minutes later, she was out!

2. In the car, I sometimes talk to other cars, so I can make it through a light or pull out of the school or just drive at a decent speed. The other day, I said, "C'mon...go, go, go" to the sedan in front of us, and Riley responded with "You need to be patient, Mommy. I always tell you, you need to be patient."

3. Riley went with me the other morning to buy a few bagel packs from Panera for my students who helped run GOLD this year. Now she's hooked! Yesterday morning, she wanted to go to Panera for a "milkshake and bagel" after gymnastics. Girl after my own heart. Who knew fondness for Panera was genetic? Her new fav is my current fav: whole grain bagel with butter. It was so nice getting to sit down just the two of us with our bagels and the smoothie we split to chat about the nice day and Adrian and gymnastics and school. I know how much I cherish those coffee shop outings with my parents, and I am so happy to start enjoying them with Riley.

4. When she talks about her friends at school, Riley commonly refers to her peers as students.

5. She has started to pull out books at home and ask the rest of us to sit down for circle time, so she can read to us. Future English teacher??

6. She is becoming so communicative. She comments on how beautiful the day is, tell us what she likes about her brother ("He's cute, except he gets my toys."), discusses plans for her birthday ("dinosaurs and lizards, and strawberry pizza and banana cake"), and shares what she is looking forward to about turning three ("I'll get a new car seat and be able to reach everything!").

7. She's proud that she can buckle the middle buckle of her car seat. She can color in between the lines. She knows how to operate a DVD player and dress herself. She hates getting her hair brushed, and I really hope that's a phase because her hair is getting so long and beautiful. She gives big hugs and kisses, and she is so gentle with her brother.

8. And except for some naps and nighttime, she is potty-trained!





1 comment:

Jamie said...

She is so precious, Linz.