Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ray Kurzweil: My New Obsession!

Ray Kurzweil on how technology will transform us | Video on TED.com

Okay, so obsession might be a bit strong, but I do find this guy fascinating! He came to speak at UF a couple of weeks ago, but I couldn't go (weeknight, two kids, not happening!). I am really bummed I missed hearing him speak in person. Last night, I watched him speak on TED, and I also caught a more recent presentation of his on youtube from an IBM conference in 2010. He's a futurist, and his predictions for technological advancements in my lifetime are unbelievable.

The next book I buy will most likely be his.

Here are his most recent titles to check out:

The Singularity is Near (2006)
Transcend: Nine Steps to Living Well Forever (2010)

In college, I read a book about paradigm shifts, and I am drawn to the concept in literature as well as in real life. In literature, paradigm shifts of sorts occur when writers have to reinstate meaning in language after traumatic events (like the Holocaust, slavery in America). So fascinating!

Just wanted to share.

1 comment:

Jlowryjr said...

I've been interested in his book as well, but am usually too lazy to read non-fiction in my leisure time.

I will have to give it a go.