Sunday, February 13, 2011

GOLD: A Fourth Fantastic Event!

Last night/this morning, we had GOLD at Oak Hall. GOLD stands for Girls Overnight Leadership Development. For more info, check my post from last February. I feel so strongly about this program. It is such a wonderful way of encouraging girls to be proud of themselves and develop their self-confidence. I went through GOLD as an eighth grader at North Allegheny, I brought the program to Jamestown High School with my twin sister when we were seniors, and now GOLD is at Oak Hall. What a journey! And yes, it is a lot of work. And yes, it is hard to stay up ALL NIGHT. But when I look around at a group of eighth grade, junior, and senior girls having a ball and confronting some major issues they may face in the coming years with poise and maturity, I am overwhelmed.

Seriously, someone give me a grant so I can bring GOLD to schools across the country! I would, in a heartbeat (and continue to write on the side, of course!). The transition between middle and high school is fragile, delicate - especially for girls. GOLD provides a bridge. I love being a part of that.

This year's highlights:
1. Zumba at midnight
2. Dance game on the wii
3. Crazy cookie decorating
4. Tie-dyed shirts
5. Spending time with an amazing group of young women!




1 comment:

Da Costa said...

Yay!!!! I'm so happy it went well! I miss it!