Sunday, April 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Party, Riley!

On Thursday night, a bunch of our friends from Gainesville came over to celebrate Riley's first birthday with a butterfly cake (thanks, Mark and Sandy!) and chocolate fondue. It was so much fun to hang out with good friends and share favorite memories from the past year.

For me, the coolest party was watching Riley dig into her cake. I had been imagining that moment since Riley was born, and I cannot believe we've already witnessed it. I am continually amazing at how much Riley has grown and developed this year - and, how much she has taught me about life, the small miracles, the daily joys, the simple pleasures. I am amazed at how much her presence has enhanced my relationship with Shawn and brought us closer together. Most importantly, I am amazed at love's capacity to expand and grow with Riley in my life. I see her smile or reach for me and I know that the world is a wonderful, wonderful place - even when it's not.

So Riley, thanks for a great first year! And a wonderful party!

To everyone who came - thanks for joining us for a great night and for being there for us this year. It is true - villages are needed to raise a child, and you all are part of our village.








1 comment:

Kira said...

oh how fun is that??!!! I am really happy for you guys, but really bummed looking at all of my friends together without me. Miss you Linz!