Friday, December 9, 2011

My Pregnancy Profile...

Before next Wednesday morning at 7:30am, I wanted to be sure to document some details about my third pregnancy.  In some ways, it was the easiest of the three; in other ways, it was a lot harder to manage.  I cannot believe we are five days away from meeting baby #3!  What a wonderful early Christmas present!  Sure, I'm a little nervous about starting the spring semester with three little ones, but I know we will make it work and figure it out and have so much fun along the way.  The other day, it occurred to me to think how easy it was to manage two at once.  I know it will take a little while before I am saying that about three, but it felt good to experience that moment and see the cyclical nature of child-raising.  Before I turn this post into a set of paragraphs, here's a list that celebrates and explains and characterizes this pregnancy:

1.  Due date: December 29th.  C-section date: December 14th, 7:30am (because my fluid is low again, my doctors want me to deliver at around 38 weeks).
2.  Weight gain at 37 weeks: 21 pounds.
3.  1st trimester woes: threw up once, then just all-day nausea and weird food moods.
4.  2nd trimester woes: some late summer ankle swelling, varicose and spider veins.
5.  3rd trimester woes: more fatigue, some muscle aches and nerve twinges, braxton hicks contractions every once in a while.
6.  Cravings: Ranch dressing!  That's probably been the big one this time around.  So strange.
7.  Aversions: None, really.  I could even eat sweets and peanut butter the entire time.
8.  Mood: Shawn says this has been my happiest and nicest pregnancy.  I've had a couple of meltdown and anxiety attacks, but for the most part I've been really cheerful and mellow.  Does that mean we are doomed?
9. Showing: I think it got hard to hide the belly in work clothes around 25 weeks.
10.  Feeling baby move: Early this time!  Around 17-8 weeks!  That was awesome.
11.  Favorite things about this pregnancy:
       *Talking to Riley and Adrian about it, not that Adrian has any clue really.  Riley is getting really excited, though.  She's convinced its a girl!
       *Showing my students that it is possible to have a job, take classes, and raise a family.  Not that I want my freshmen tackling all that quite yet, but I think it is good for them to know that personal and family pursuits can be achieved simultaneously.
       *Watching my belly move and shift, feeling the baby move.  This one is always among my favorites!
       *Not feeling as stressed.  This time around, I really tried to just enjoy being pregnant, woes and all.  I am so amazed and in awe of the whole miracle, and I am incredibly thankful that I was able to experience it again.
12.  Funny moments: Riley using a fetal doppler to listen to her heartbeat.
13.  Other big life changes: Moving to Athens, GA.  Starting a Ph.D. program.  Shawn starting a new job.
14.  Hobbies and interests: Beyond the obvious of reading and writing...Pinterest, Netflix, Veggie Co-op, working out at the YMCA.
15.  What I'm most looking forward to at this point: Holding our baby.  Finding out girl or boy.  Seeing how the kids react.

In five days, we become a family of five.  Wow.  Can't wait.

No comments: