Sunday, August 15, 2010

I have an amazing family. After a day at the beach together in Jacksonville, I feel so full - full of memories, smiles, laughs, stories, love, support, generosity, kindness, togetherness, joy, and inspiration. For a little less than a full day, our ever-growing family was together. We are a crowd now, two hotel suites full of bodies, and I couldn't be more happy, knowing I am part of such a fun and loving group of people. Sure, we have our looks, our disagreements, our tension, our political discord, but that keeps our time together real, at least entertaining. The day was fast - hotel check-in, lunch, beach, shower and rest, dinner, dessert and videos, sleep, and breakfast - but it was enough to make me realize how fortunate and lucky I am to have a family I am so proud of and so moved by.

I think one of the things that really struck me this time was how much my children are loved and cared for by my siblings and my parents. The bonds are so instant, inherent, undeniable - and, I almost want to cry when I see Riley picking shells on the beach with my dad and mom, my sisters holding Adrian in their safe arms, their smiling faces, my brother romping on the bed with Riley, playing like only an uncle and niece can. God, those are great sights. Powerful. Beautiful.

And all I can say is thank you. Mom, Dad, Allison, Brendan, Claire, CE, Shawn, Riley, and Adrian: thank you for a wonderful visit - and, more importantly - for filling my life, for being my support system, for being my friends, for showing my kids what an amazing thing family is, for loving me, for giving me that vital knowledge that I can be and do anything.

I miss you already.



















1 comment:

Kira said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture of you with Shawn burried in the sand!!!