Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Spring Break 2008

Normally, spending spring break in the hospital would be on par with eating black olives and standing in forty degree rain in a t-shirt and shorts. Not for Shawn and I. Not this year.


After a spring break no trip to Cancun or Paris or California could ever top, Shawn and I welcomed Riley Marie into our family on April 7, 2008 at 1:05 pm. With her due date still weeks away, we were not quite ready. But then again, would we ever be?


It was the Monday of our spring break, and we began the day like a normal vacation day: sleeping in until 8:00, cereal for breakfast, and a bit of gaming before heading to our doctor's appointment. I had an ultrasound scheduled for 10:00 am. Shawn was coming with me, and then I was planning on dropping him off at his track meet before running a bunch of errands and hitting the gym. My to-do list was soon forgotten.

Ironically, our appointment began with Dr. Greene talking to us about going into labor. Shawn and I both agreed that we wanted the birth to be as natural as possible. Then, we looked at the ultrasound. Riley was doing just fine, but the placenta showed evidence of calcification. At 36 weeks and five days, Dr. Greene did not want to wait to see what would happen in the next couple of weeks. As a result, we would be meeting our baby that day! Because Riley was breech, Dr. Greene scheduled a c-section. The next two and a half hours, from ultrasound to operating room, were a blur.


By 12:30, I was getting my spinal and Shawn had his OR scrubs, mask, hat, and booties on. And, of course, his Oakley shades to complete the ensemble. At 1:05, Riley came out, crying a little and sticking out her tongue. Time seemed to stand still. We had a beautiful, healthy baby girl. When they laid her on me for our first family photo, I was in awe. After nine months, I couldn't believe this little person was finally ours. To have, to hold, to comfort, to support, to worry about, to encourage, to teach. To love. Forever.


2 comments:

Irene Da Costa said...

Awesome job on the blog Linds! I love the background and I must say it's so nice to read a fellow English teacher's writing. You had me crying by the end of this post! Congrats again on little Riley. She is beautiful!

Unknown said...

Linds and Shawn, congratulations on your beautiful new addition to your family! We can't wait to meet Riley when you are in Ambridge.